View Single Post
Old 08-22-2021, 11:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

As I continue to peel back the layers of the onion of my long-standing neuropathy issues (since 2013), I feel like I'm getting closer and wanted to share.

The new medical malady that sent me down this path was the incidental discovery of a 9 mm kidney stone. I'm 59 and have never had kidney stone problems before, so this is a "new feature" that would seem to go hand-in-hand with the idiopathic neuropathy that hit me later in life. The stone has sent me down another rabbit hole as I learn why stones are formed.

Long story short, I am now looking a food sensitivity as being the root cause of my issues. I've been on a "clean" diet for many years now. I eat very little processed food that is predominantly plant-based with lots and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. That's all well and good, unless you have a sensitivity to oxalates or salicylates which are abundant in those foods. And I've learned having histamine problems seem to go hand-in-hand with these sensitivities.

I believe it's likely that an insult I took to my gut right before my neuropathy started may have led to dysfunction in its ability to process one (or both) of these substances. If your gut can't get rid of them properly, they can wreak havoc in your system. I do have some functional medicine test results that are supporting the idea that salicylates, in particular, may be my problem.

The one thing I really wanted to mention is something that I read on these forums very early on that may have hinted at the nature of my issues. My discomfort from my neuro symptoms gets worse as the day goes on, so they're at their mildest in the morning when I wake up. I remember several people here on the forums saying it was the same with them, so I really didn't think anything more of it. "That's just the way neuropathy works" was my thinking. Now I'm realizing that the longer I fast when I first wake up, the longer my symptoms remain mild, and what I put in my mouth is likely involved.

So obviously I'm now setting about making dietary adjustments to see if I can make a difference. Just thought I'd pass this on, as I don't think neurological symptoms are a common manifestation of this problem. Tinnitus is, which I do have, but not the crazy sensory and neuropathic issues.
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (08-22-2021)