View Single Post
Old 08-23-2021, 07:49 AM
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Newly Joined

2 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBB View Post
Hi, I had acdf at C4/5, 5/6 and 6/7 on 2/21. I developed excruciating nerve pain in left arm POST-OP and had it for 15 days before it started subsiding. I had no nerve pain pre-op...just a dull ache in left arm. I was terrified thinking that the surgery had caused additional problems, but, now, I'm thinking that the nerve was irritable from being 'jiggled' during surgery and the fact that I had had the pain for almost three years pre-op (assault). I, too, was prescribed PT but have found that it causes pain...we have to listen to our bodies and do what works for us. I cannot do anything repetitive for very long with activating the pain across C6/7 where the worst herniation was. My immediate post-op pain was, also, excruciating; and I had to have strong pain meds which made my blood pressure drop dangerously low. I am just now starting to feel better. My PT and home health nurse think I should be able to do more at this point and have contacted the NS to ask that my x-ray appt. be bumped up since it is scheduled for one month from now...just to try to determine what is going on. Bottom line: listen to your body and do not let anyone dictate how much you do.
I too had acdf at C4/5, 5/6 and 6/7 surgery and am 2 months out. I have an intermittent extremely painful numbness in my left hand that is unbearable when it appears. Much stronger and painful than before I had the surgery. It really happens most when I lay down. I have had 4 or 5 nights where I literally don't sleep a wink. I try every position known to man. The only thing that helps is getting up and walking around. This is torture and completely disturbs my quality of life and effects my ability to function effectively at work, as a parent, husband etc etc.

Is this type of pain normal 2 months out? Does it go away? The doctor said structurally the surgery couldn't of gone any better. The pain I feel is excruciating and has me somewhat depressed to think that this is my new reality. I am an active 53 year old ex athlete that was (is) very hopeful that I can have a better quality of life and be active again.
jpugliese22@gmail.c is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote