View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 02:15 PM

2 yr Member

2 yr Member
Default Post concussion issues (mouth) 10 years on

Sorry for the long post. I’m hoping someone here can help me as I haven’t been able to get any answers up to now.

Background is I had a concussion in 2010. At the time, there didn’t seem to be any serious effects, but a few months later, I started to get fatigue, initially just a few hours, then days and finally so bad that in 2016, I had to stop working. At the time, I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), although in hindsight the symptoms weren’t quite right.

By February 2020, I was bedridden. I began to have trouble eating /swallowing. I was also extremely sensitive to light and sound, had noises in my head and other weird symptoms. My doctor had me admitted to hospital in July 2020 to figure out what was wrong, and, for the first time, a connection was made between my symptoms and my decade-old concussion. I was put on modafinil which helped to clear the brain fog but not much else. I was discharged after a brain scan showed no abnormalities.

Four days after being discharged, my symptoms worsened (including severe twitching) and I ended up in the emergency department. I was finally given a neurological assessment in which I was put through a series of physical /mental tests. By the end of it, I was back to normal — no more weird symptoms, no more fatigue.

The neurologist told me that I had a brain disorder which had been triggered by the concussion and that my brain would continue to give me "false symptoms". After previously being bedbound for months, I was able to walk out of the hospital.

For two or three weeks, I ran on adrenaline but then I started to get problems in my mouth/throat, left side only, which I think are related to my concussion/ disorder. The throat has improved, but I still have symptoms similar to dental neuropathy (numb tongue and on the roof of the mouth, feels like the tongue is swollen, dry mouth); these have been going on for the past nine or ten months. Although I had false symptoms when I was ill, my mouth was not affected like this.

I wonder if anyone on this forum has experienced something similar. The closest description I’ve been able to find for my symptoms is Psychogenic Lingual Paresthesia. I’ve spoken to a neurologist, a psychiatrist, dentist and an otolaryngologist but nobody seems to be able to give me an answer. I’ve also had an endoscopy which was normal.

Thanks in advance.
Jenny O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote