View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 01:43 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

That kind of a fall can cause a subtle upper neck injury as the cervical spine tries to continue moving forward when the skull has stopped. It can also cause whiplash to the neck. It can worsen as the spine ages. Your height has likely changed a bit over the past ten years as the cervical disks get thin. This can cause inflammation that leads to radiculopathy that can impede proper nerve function.

My last head and upper neck/cervical injury was 20 years ago. I had cervical issues for a few years but things stabilized. 2 years ago, at 64, I developed a nerve dysfunction to the part of my tongue that facilitates swallowing. The explanation is the effect aging has on the cartilaginous disks and surfaces in my cervical spine.

Besides my swallowing dysfunction, my cervical spine/brain stem can get inflamed and cause me to stop breathing if I sleep with poor head and neck posture.

I can choke on anything. It gets stuck deep at the back of my throat. I need to have a beverage ready. I can down 3 or 4 glasses of water when I go out to eat. I've had every image study possible. The diagnosis is dysphagia (idiopathic) but my ENT thinks it is a neurological issue from my neck.

I am very careful with sleep posture. I get my best sleep in a recliner. I expect to need an adjustable medical bed in the future.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote