Thread: Lara
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 03:58 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

We have two types of hospitals. Public and Private but sometimes there is some overlap depending on the region or area you're living in. I paid private health insurance for most of my adult life, but it became too expensive and even with the insurance the amount we have to pay out of pocket is too much. Basically we pay taxes all our lives and now there's about 2% of taxable income goes in a Medicare levy.

In the public hospital system, the hospitals are government run. The State runs it and is also funded by the Federal Government.

My oncologist works in Private system as well, but as he said, I'd get the same treatment in the public system where I don't pay all the "extras".

In my State (and it was different when I lived in another State down south), I pay nothing for my doctor, treatment or for blood tests, imagining etc.. My Pembrolizumab treatment is worth approx $136 000 per year. Something I could never pay. It's available to me on PBS because my diagnosis is metastatic melanoma and I'm now retired and receive pension.
"Thanks for this!" says:
agate (10-03-2021), bizi (10-01-2021), Dmom3005 (09-30-2021), mymorgy (09-30-2021)