View Single Post
Old 10-01-2021, 02:39 PM
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Default Dark bruising-look -- trying to find cause?

I've had a VP shunt since 2002. I have np Hydrocephalus that develop after a microvascular decompression surgery. I've had spinal fluid leak, spinal meningitis, and still have trigeminal neuralgia even after that microvascular surgery. I have had several revisions and one complete replacement. I am now on my last one for approximately nine years.

For the past ten months I have developed shading under my eyes which was very light and looked to be something a person would get after not sleeping enough. It has become gradually darker to the point where it now looks like I have broken my nose. No exaggeration.

My doctor is trying to figure out what's causing it and of course my first thoughts were that it's shunt related. Some causes could be dehydration, and anemia -- I am not anemic. Folic acid depletion can cause Anemia but all other labs are normal.

It could be a vitamin deficiency, I am very very low on folic acid and am now taking a supplement for that. I am not finding any information on folic acid causing this type of bruised look and my doctor did not immediately go to that shortage either.

Have any of you had this happen it would be a breath of fresh air to have someone who has had this unfortunate symptom. Perhaps you could share your solution with me?
sher1959 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (10-01-2021)