View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 03:53 PM
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Default New member - 11 months of P/N with severe mobility loss

Hi all,

I’m a 38M with severe peripheral neuropathy in my legs and hands (in particular). It started at the very start of 2021 with a slight burning in my feet; by March I had a severely ataxic gate and by June I was in a wheelchair outside - only just able to move around my house with a walking stick. After a truly amazing amount of investigations they believe I have a vitamin B12 absorption issue - the levels in my blood have always been good but more detailed tests suggest I’m not absorbing it properly. After an injection every other day for 2 weeks and now monthly, I finally started to see some improvement… and then I fell at night in August and fractured a vertebrae.

The bone has healed thankfully (after 12 weeks of being near bedridden) but while my hands have continued to improve (I’ve gone from being unable to type or sign my name in August to passable dexterity now) my mobility seems to have hit a new low. I can’t really tell if my lack of balance is due to a lack of feeling and positional sense or muscle weakness but I can now only walk with a Zimmer frame and can barely stand to wash my hands (having to cling on to the wash basin for dear life). I honestly just feel defeated at this point - I can’t do much to strengthen my legs as my balance is so poor and I’m genuinely terrified of having another severe fall or just losing the ability to walk permanently.

I find it so hard to find any information about what recovery from peripheral neuropathy looks like or the course it takes and was hoping to listen to people’s experiences here and maybe find some cause for optimism.

Thanks for reading!
Samiens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote