View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 04:13 AM

2 yr Member

2 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
mets811,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

You did not explain the mechanism of your injury nor your immediate symptoms, early diagnostics, any treatments, etc.

I can't address the physical injury issues without understanding your impact/event.

I do have some other concerns. Do you have a history of depression and/or anxiety of any kind?

Do you have other stresses in your life?

Illnesses, .....?

There are many factors that can contribute to prolonged concussion symptoms beyond just the head impact.
The head impact occurred as a result of mixing tramadol and weed gummies. I was in extreme facial pain at the time from a dental cleaning and was looking for any way to alleviate the pain. She was pushing on my face a lot and the pain was so extreme afterwards. I was in the kitchen and started to feel dizzy as I got up, everything went black, I tripped over the kitchen chair and hit my head on the right side of my forehead and face. My parents got to me right after it happened and said I did not lose consciousness. While I remember the immediate impact and what led up to it, I don't remember walking up the stairs and into the bathroom until I was actually in the bathroom. I don't know if that's because I was so high or because I hit my head. I started coming to and I was sitting on the bathroom floor telling my parents everything was fine, but I knew it wasn't and could not physically get up. I don't know if it was because of the drugs or because I just hit my head. Who knows, maybe it was a combination of both. After about 15 minutes I was okay enough to get up, go to my room and go to sleep. I told my parents everything was fine and that was that for the night.

The next day everything was fine, apart from my head hurting a little where I hit it. Oddly enough, the extreme face pain I was having everyday for a month was gone. It just magically disappeared. Even the neurologist can't understand why. The entire day I was completely 100% fine. I thought I dodged a bullet and was going on with life as usual again and was really happy the face pain went away.

The next day I woke up and that's when it all hit me. I was getting ready to go to work as normal and just felt out of sorts and I could barely move my neck. I remember giving my dad this look before I left and told him I don't feel right something is very wrong. He looked at me weird and I just left. I went to work and I just started to increasingly feel worse as the day went on. I called the neurologist and she said it sounds like a concussion and she said as long as I didn't lose consciousness there shouldn't be much of a concern and if things got worse to let her know. She chalked up my next pain and other issues to inflammation starting to occur and figures things would be okay.

Ultimately over the next couple weeks things got worse. I took off the next week of work simply because I was physically unable to do so. I wrote a list of all my symptoms during that week so I could explain to the doctor. Maybe it will help you since you asked about what immediate symptoms I had.

1) just feel not right
2) can't focus while driving. Things look blurry when they shouldn't be. I can't drive. Hard to focus when everything is moving and when you drive everything is moving. I feel better when driving is slower and I don't have to look around as much.
3) pain and tingling in my head
4) headache sometimes
5) neck pain
6) feeling hot a lot...wake up drenched in sweat
7) takes me longer to do things
8) most tasks other than eating and going to the bathroom seem daunting
9) sometimes so tired in the morning
10) I struggle to get started on doing things because they'll take so much effort to do
11) sometimes I'll do things and forget I need to go back to it
12) time is moving so fast
13) my routines are off...I eat and do things at all different times

To put things in perspective, I had to force myself, which could take 30 minutes just to get out of bed to go to the bathroom or eat. At times I only ate because I was hoping it would make me feel better and at times eating did make me feel better.

Things slowly got better over time. I went back to work after taking a week off. I knew I didn't feel ready, but I felt forced to do so. In hindsight,I probably could have used several weeks off. The first day I drove after the week off my eyes were blurry. It didn't feel like blurriness, but more of a trouble focusing. It felt awful, but it only happened that one time. I had my parents drive me home that day. The next day was fine, although driving made me nauseous.

I really should have had an MRI early on, but I have Hyperacusis so I was afraid of the loud noise and just couldn't bring myself to do it. I did have one recently of the brain and everything came back fine. Apart from some white matter hyper intensities and a dental cyst, there wasn't anything else to mention.

Fast forward to now and all of the symptoms on the list are gone. I still think I'd be waking up drenched in sweat, but it's too cold for that now I guess. My understanding is the brain controls body temperature and this is why I have that symptom? My only other symptoms right now is just not feeling right. There is just something wrong with my body. No history of anxiety or depression and if my body felt fine I'd simply just be fine. Work was hard at first, there was like this extreme disconnect with my brain and body the first week back to work. Like my brain was working but my body couldn't keep up to ask the things I wanted to do. This doesn't happen anymore, but u felt it was with mentioning.

So that's pretty much everything in a nutshell. Aside from trigeminal neurolgia, which causes pain in my jaw, and Hyperacusis, which I had prior to hitting my head there's nothing else wrong with me. I can add fibromyalgia in there, but everyone just thinks it's a joke and I've had it my whole adult life. Pain is real to the person who feels it, but whatever I just deal with it.

Thanks for responding Mark.
mets811 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote