View Single Post
Old 12-10-2021, 11:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Tasigna (aka Nilotinib)

This leukemia drug is being researched for application in Parkinson's by Dr. Charbel Moussa at Georgetown. His theory that PD is a vascular disease (defective blood brain barrier) is a radical departure from the decades-old alpha-synuclein/misfolded protein theory, but given what I think are very positive results from his work with PD patients and this drug, may be correct.

I tried to get this drug for my husband several years ago, from many doctors, but no one was willing to off label it for us. Dr. Moussa's work with Nilotinib was in its infancy, and none of the doctors I approached was familiar with it, or him, and thus completely unwilling to script it for us (even if we signed a waiver of any liability and full consent).

With this newest update on Dr. Moussa;s research, hopefully that will change (also with the "right to try" law now on the books). I can't help but wonder if this drug could have saved my husband's life. I'll never know, but am putting this out there so that those who come behind us can, armed with the new research demonstrating beneficial use of this drug for PD, discuss it with their doctor and perhaps be allowed to try it.

Here is one of the articles announcing the newest research results from Dr. Moussa's lab:

Parkinson’s Disease Trial Reveals Defects in Blood-Brain Barrier

If the Parkinson's of the 75 "moderately severe" patients in this study was not only stabilized when Nilotinib was taken, but improved, is that not a cure?

I cannot wait to see how Dr. Moussa's next larger trial-Phase III I think it will be-of this drug goes.

Hang in there, everyone
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote