View Single Post
Old 12-11-2021, 06:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan125 View Post
Hi everyone,

New to this site and really worried I may have AIPN. 34 years old and have been a heavy weekend drinker since 20. Since covid my drinking picked up significantly, drinking on average a case of beer every weekend. Would abstain Monday-Thursday and then repeat. A few months ago I noticed significant fatigue, and most recently experiencing persistent calf twitching in both legs. No pain in my hands or feet, but my calf muscles are very tight all the time. I'm trying to get sober as I'm sure it's years of drinking catching up to me. Was sober for a month and symptoms seemed to be getting better. Last weekend I relapsed, and when I woke up my right leg was very numb from the knee down. My calves feel like they're they're going to spasm. I started a multi vitamin and have been drinking as much water and stretching as much as possible. If I stay sober and am committed, is there hope for me? Or worst case, is there any hope that if I stay sober my symptoms at least shouldn't expect to get any worse? I'm terrified and just looking for support and any advice, whether that be supplements, exercises, foods to eat or not eat, etc...
Hey there, and welcome. I am relatively new to this site as well, and you sound a lot like me as a drinker. I was a mostly weekend drinker too as a big sports fan. I received a small fiber neuropathy confirmation a couple months ago from a biopsy. I will echo Icehouse in that stopping drinking will help. In five months, I still have ups and downs, but I definitely feel like I am no longer getting worse. I also took an antibiotic several years ago that can cause nerve issues, so I don’t know that alcohol was the sole cause of my pain, but stopping certainly hasn’t hurt things. Try and be as active as you can. I have had to ease back with some exercise, but there are stretches of time where I feel pretty good, too.
ajwinpain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Icehouse (12-14-2021)