15 yr Member
Default To all who have posted in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula_w View Post
from NYTimes today:

July 27, 2007

Patient in Experimental Gene Therapy Study Dies, F.D.A. Says

By DENISE GRADY and ANDREW POLLACK
A patient has died in a study of an experimental gene therapy, the Food and Drug Administration reported yesterday. The agency said it was investigating the death to determine whether the treatment was to blame.
The case could be another setback for gene therapy, a field with a troubled history and numerous treatment failures, including the death of a teenager in 1999 in an experiment.
The new therapy being tested, made by Targeted Genetics of Seattle, is a virus-based product injected directly in the joints in hope of relieving active inflammatory arthritis. That chronic condition can affect multiple joints and organs, and it is quite different from the wear-and-tear arthritis that commonly occurs with aging.The patient became ill soon after receiving a second injection, the drug agency said. The date is not exactly clear, but the illness was recognized as a “serious adverse event” last Friday, and the agency immediately suspended the study. That means no more injections can be given. The patient died on Tuesday.
Targeted Genetics and the drug agency said they would not describe the patient’s symptoms or the manner of death until the investigation had been completed. The company and the agency emphasized that it was not known whether the treatment had a role or the death was a coincidence. The agency said the timing was cause for concern.
H. Stewart Parker, chief executive of Targeted Genetics, said, “The patient was dosed one dose and had no issues and came back several months later and coincident with the dosing had an S.A.E.”
S.A.E. is an abbreviation for serious adverse event.
Ms. Parker said the company had used the same type of virus to carry various genes into more than 500 patients and had not seen similar problems. “These patients are all on several different medications,” she said. “They certainly have disease characteristics.”
The drug agency said it was reviewing all other studies using the same virus, which is called an adeno-associated virus, though it had not heard of similar problems.
Dr. Theodore Friedmann, a professor of pediatrics and head of the gene therapy program at the University of California, San Diego, said the A.A.V. system used in the experiment was widely regarded as safe.
But, Dr. Friedmann added, “We’ll probably come to learn it does some harmful things in some settings.”

__._,_.___
Please explain to me why my post is "off topic?" Jean and Thelma, my post encouraged research of adult stem cells. Your post, Jean, and Thelma's "Thanks for This" make no sense. Arrian has arthritis, the patient who died had arthritis. Arrian was to receive her treatment in Seattle. The patient who died was in Seattle receiving treatment for arthritis. The information from the Director was added but was not the primary message. My entire first paragraph was about a young girl with her whole life before her and is counting on stem cell/gene therapy to save her life. The little girl wants to dance but can rarely leave her wheelchair for fear of breaking a bone. Everyone on this site is so pro-science and have so little thought for anything but themselves and finding a cure for Parkinson's that they haven't the time to learn of a young girl who more than likely will never know the thrill of her first dance.

Leah McLean's Blog: A hope for healing

It's tough to see a little girl suffering from a disease that's taken an obvious toll. But 10-year-old Arrian Madden has a way of making you smile even through her own hardship. She has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, or JRA. She's had it since she was six months old. The disease makes her immune system attack her. She's in and out of the hospital with infections a couple times every year. Her bones and joints hurt almost all the time.

I had the opportunity to meet her and her family a couple weeks ago and they blew me away. Arrian was sitting in a wheel chair when we first met. But she got up to say hi. She can walk around but has to be careful not to overdue it or she could injure herself because of the JRA. She told me she wants to take ballet lessons but knows it would be too much on her fragile body.

A stem cell transplant offered in Seattle is bringing new hope for her family. They had planned to start the procedure at the end of July but a new infection is slowing them down. Arrian is in the hospital in a drug-induced coma right now. She has an infection in her kidneys and lungs. Her family is taping our news story so she can see it when she's feeling better. It will likely be months before she's strong enough to do the stem cell transplant. But her doctor says if she can have the procedure it could make all her symptoms go away. It's possible she would start to grow and develop like other children her age once if she can get off all the medication.

This family is struggling with all the challenges. They could use all the help they can get. They set up a fund called Arrian's Angels at TCF bank and they have a Caring Bridge sight set up so people can check in on her progress. We wish them all the best.

What are you advocating for? Science or humanity? I am ashamed to know any of you who have been so heartless not to offer some words of hope to this young friend of mine by at least signing her guestbook and offering some words of comfort or encouragement for a young girl who has given so much.
If advocacy is not taking into account the humanity of all then count me out.

Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote