View Single Post
Old 12-28-2021, 07:55 PM
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Newly Joined

2 yr Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Even before I retired, my left hand was not functioning correctly (loss of fine motor skills, difficulty typing) I don't have a resting tremor but do have a tremor when using my left hand. I ended up seeing a neurology nurse practitioner who ordered an MRI of brain and spine back in April. Some spinal stenosis and some cervical spondylosis showed up. So she sent me to a neurosurgeon. When I went there I saw a physician assistant who did not think the neck problems were causing my problems so he sent me to an orthopedic, doctor. The orthopedic doctor sent me back to neurology. This time I saw a neurologist. The neurologist said it could be Parkinson's, let's try some carbidopa / levodopa. So, I started that in August and took it for one month. I could not tell it was helping so I called him and asked him if I could wean off. He said yes. I was taking 1 tab tid so I went to 1/2 tab tid for a couple of days and then stopped. 20% of people can get a "Dopamine Agonist Withdrawal Syndrome" and that was me. I woke up at 2 AM with very unpleasant symptoms. (You can look up "Dopamine Agonist Withdrawal Syndrome" to see what I mean.) So, I went back on and the symptoms went away. So, I started weaning more slowly. 1/2 tab tid for several days, then went to 1/4 tab tid. The miserable symptoms returned so I went up to 1/4 tab q6h. It took a several miserable days of insomnia and nausea to finally feel better. So now he put me on a different Parkinson's med that I started yesterday. I am beginning to wander if I really do have Parkinson's or not. Since I stopped the carbidopa/levadopa in September, I have not slept through the night. Wake up at 2:30 toss and turn for an hour and I usually end up taking something to help me sleep.
John Robinson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote