View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 05:15 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damlays@gmail.com View Post
I had severe and generalized Alcoholic Neuropathy symptoms (as Peripheral and Autonomic neuropathy) 2 years ago.

At that time I immediately 100% stopped alcohol, started wide range of Vitamin and Anti-Oxidants supports (including 1200 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid/day) for more than 1 year.

Symptoms persisted in first year and after that gradually disappeared. In last 6 months they were nearly all disappeared.

By this encouragement in last day I made a mistake! (very stupid of me)!
I miss beer too much and I said JUST for ONE TIME if I remember the taste of beer it may not effect bad on me very much. And I drank JUST 2 cans of Beer.

First day I didn't see any bad result, second day some Autonomic Symptoms (related with Vagal Neuropathy like Dispne, a bit Tachycardia) came back. Third day it increased a lot and it is severe like in the beginning like 2 years ago.

Now I am worrying too much. With JUST 2 BEER CANS (5% alcohol) can everything turn back to the beginning?? Can some irreversible damage happen with this amount of alcohol because it is a repeating event??

Or is this just small and first reaction damage, and in next period (days, weeks or few months) it can be recovered again (as it was recovered before)?
...and if I will not try any alcohol again (god knows I will NEVER EVER try again after this experience) I can be symptomless again?

Is there anybody who can know and say something on this point please?
Hey Damlays,

I am so sorry to hear of the return of your symptoms. It seems so cruel that a couple of beers can cause these changes.

I have a history of alcohol induced PN and I too had setbacks on the way to recovery but eventually I made more or less a full recovery. At that point I became over confident and drank in small amounts again without any symptoms. But symptoms did come back and I abstained again and the good news is they have gone away again.

So I believe you have the potential to once more make a full recovery. Just go back to what you did before that worked. Maybe you can outline what you did and people can add suggestions to enhance the recovery process.

This is my theory on what happened to me. It's only a theory and if people can add to it or tell me where I'm wrong, I would would welcome a better understanding. It may apply to you, it may not.

I believe that alcohol damages the myelin sheath that covers nerves. Ceasing alcohol allows the nerves to regenerate and this process starts about a month after cessation. As the myelin sheath regenerates the symptoms subside. The longer the period of alcohol abstention the greater the nerve regeneration. Factors like age, diet, lifestyle, supplements and wellbeing all influence speed and quality of nerve regeneration. It is the quality of nerve regeneration that is important. I think for you your nerve regeneration was sufficient to stop symptoms but not sufficient to withstand alcohol.

What was your protocol that lead to your first recovery?

Let's see if we and any interested parties can pool resources to optimize your return to health.

Best wishes,

Atty
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ajwinpain (01-15-2022), damlays@gmail.com (01-12-2022)