View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 04:29 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default rib cage theory 2

Rib cage theory 2

Hi noname I am not sure of your circumstances but I believe that your criticisms are a little harsh. If you are aware of what is causing your problems and the methods that should be used to sort them out then you are very fortunate. It is a pity that it is not so simple for all.

A soft rib cage is one which will allow you to twist without muscles in ones back going tight.
A soft rib cage is one which allows you to lie down on your back or sides without the very uncomfortable feeling that you are compromising nerves and muscles start to “tick”

A soft rib cage is one where it is easy to breathe and deep breaths don’t cause a heavy arm feeling or cyanosis or cold hand.
A soft rib cage is one which is free of muscle imbalances, spasms and what I had prior to getting TOS
Chest breathing is caused by?
Some say that it is as a consequence of neural compromise of some of the nerves in the autonomic nervous system. It may not be as a consequence .of tight scalenes

Many believe that the majority of brachial plexus compromise is behind the pec minor and not between the scalenes. It is unfortunate that this was not understood earlier so as to avoid a considerable number of ineffective scalenectomies.

Why is the compromise behind the pec minor? What causes this muscle imbalance? Why is there serratus anterior weakness?
If the B.P. compromise is not between the scalenes but behind the pec minor why do so many people associate the condition with a wry neck or auto accident?
How does a wry neck cause pec minor tightness?
How do they know that bad posture causes TOS?
Why isn’t the bad posture attributed to the fact that someone has muscle imbalances in their shoulder girdle after they had a wry neck?
If the muscle imbalances are as a consequence of neural compromise to those muscles and there are many tight muscles in the thoracic spine, won’t using the “compensatory” muscles to achieve correct posture only make the problem worse?
I maintain that until the muscles that are in spasm in one’s shoulder girdle and upper back are relaxed you are only going to make matters worse if you attempt “correct posture” with tight or weak or neurally compromised muscles.

When I was at my worst, attempting to pull my head back to correct the head forward posture immediately made the symptoms down my arm worse. I maintain that I was moving my head forward to lessen the total compromise to the BP because the normal pressure on the B.P. through the scalenes was now significant when added to the new compromise under the Pec minor, the insignificant became significant (double crush). I still had to use my arm out in front of my body (use pec minor) therefore my head went forward to minimise the total compromise. The head forward was not the problem it was a consequence but it was what they saw.
If the physiotherapists suggestions of how to keep your rib cage down don’t work, obviously it isn’t working now, try the medication, it has turned my world around. I don’t take any other medication for TOS.

The essence of my theory is based on my circumstances and the precept that medical knowledge has always evolved. What is a given today may well be found to be mistaken tomorrow. Medical history is full of misconceptions. Continuous improvement is about reviewing what we thought were truths and reconsidering them in light of new information. Regards towelhorse
towelhorse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote