Thread: C5 palsy
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 06:41 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
hi
i'm new to this forum, but have posted for years on the Parkinson's Forum. I am looking for any information on C5 palsy, and would like to hear from others with this condition.
About 2 months ago i had surgery on my cervical disks (C3-6) due to a herniation, that was close to bursting. the surgery went ok, but afterwards i lost the use of my right hand and arm.
The docs said this was a rare side effect of surgery on the C5 disk, snd should correct itself in time. They "hoped" that i would get full functioning back and i should be patient.

I did some research, but didn't find much -- i did find estimates between 4 months - 12+ months for recovery, and that no treatment is suggested
I was referred for PT and OT.

Again,they said be patient. I don't think the docs understand that how debilitating this condition can be. I'm trying to use my left hand as much as possible, but i need help now for just simple activities of daily living - ssuch as dressing, cooking, bathing. i've lost all of my independence. I'm worried that i could be in the 30% that one study predicted won't fully recover.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with C5 palsy, how was it treated and what was your outcome?
thanks,
linda h
I know exactly how you feel. After my neck surgery I lost my left shoulder. Its been over a year now. Shoulder joint is fine but cant lift it. It hangs. My arm, hand and fingers are fine. They are saying I have this dystonia now. I dont completely agree. I get it. This craps sucks but doctors just dont get it. Still working this out and trying to beat it. Life like this is terrible.
plower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote