View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 06:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, cnxbennett, welcome to NT.

My son had "night terrors" when he was that age. The dr.s call them that because they say children that young don't really dream yet. But what they CAN get is a horrible, scary feeling that they can't escape from.

I would wake up to blood-curdling screams, and jet off down to his room. He'd be either laying in a fetal position, or sitting straight up in bed. Sometimes his eyes would be wide open, other times not. But when they were open, it was obvious he wasn't seeing anything around him, he was trapped in his terror. No one could wake him up, either... you could shake him, pinch him, pick him up and spin in circles, it didn't matter. He could NOT wake up. It could go on for as long as 10 minutes, although it seemed like hours. Then, just as suddenly as it started, it would end. Just end. He'd go all limp and relaxed, and fall right back into normal sleep. It had no lasting effects on him at all... it was ME that would be up for hours afterwards, shaking!

The cure? Age. He'll grow out of it when he starts having "normal" dreams and can tell you about them (you know, the "bad man" or "monster" words, nothing big). Chris quit at age 3. But for that year and a half, it was nuts. He'd have the night terrors two or three times a week, and sometimes up to three times on those nights. I didn't get much sleep. I pray that your sons aren't that bad, IF that's what's wrong with him. But I'd mention night terrors to the dr., he'd know a lot more about this than I do!

Surgery is a scary experience for anyone, let alone a child of that age. It doesn't surprise me to hear that the episodes are happening more often since then... the poor boy has more to be frightened of.

Here's a link to the Children's Health forum: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Oh, almost forgot to ask: did your son have colic? Chris's dr. said that night terrors were much more common in kids who had had colic, which Chris did.

Best of luck, I hope you can get the help and answers you need.

There are only two types of people in this world... those who bring you peace and those who don't.
theoneRogue420 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote