View Single Post
Old 02-14-2022, 07:29 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Thanks for the info.

If I did not already mention, I will now. 80% of concussion symptoms are neck related according to a leading concussion research and treatment center. (UPMC)

I suggest you look for a chiro who uses much gentler techniques. Activator is a gentle protocol. You likely have a messed up upper neck. Some chiros are trained in NUCCA or Atlas Orthogonal techniques. Some physical therapists also have special training in upper cervical therapies.

The twist the head and crack the neck is too aggressive for the C-1 and C-2 injuries that are common.

I'll explain what often happens with your slip and fall.

As you land on your back and head, your head stops moving but your neck continues to move toward the ice. This slides C-2 and C-1 toward the ground as the occiput surface at the base of your skull has stopped moving.

In some cases, this is called a partial dislocation of the skull.

The surface between C-2 and C-1 and between C-1 and occiput are not faceted like the other vertebra. They are held in position by ligaments. Once those ligaments get stretched, those vertebra become unstable.

C-2 to C-3 and further down have facets that hold alignment and are the pop and the vertebra slip back into position, like two spoons nesting together.

Think of it this way, the lower vertebra are like a stack of spoons in the silverware drawer. Occiput, C-1, and C-2 are like the knives, they want to lay any which way.

So, with proper help to mobilize C-1 and C-2, you have to use posture discipline to allow the ligaments to strengthen to stabilize those vertebra. That takes months of discipline.

The twist the head and pop the neck may help with the lower vertebra but they often traumatize C-1 and C-2. Avoid that trauma.

My therapist would have me lying on my back and pull traction on my head then gently rock my head and use finger pressure to manipulate C-1 and C2 to get them moving smoothly. I would use ice after and was very disciplined with my sleep posture. No head tilted forward or to the side sleep posture.

Personal discipline is the most important part. Others cannot correct your poor sleeping posture. Only you can.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote