View Single Post
Old 02-20-2022, 12:44 PM
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Newly Joined

2 yr Member
Default Neuropathy journey the last nine months

Hi there. New to the forum. Hoping this doesn't end up contentious in any way, just looking for folks with similar journeys who can perhaps give me some insights.

43/M, 6', 190lbs - healthy by and large (don't drink, walk 50-60 miles a month) - could stand to lose 10lbs. Am lifelong vegetarian but have good B12 levels.

Early mid-year last year I began experiencing tingling / numbness in my right hand, feet and left side of my face. After a few months the tingling subsided and was replaced with a sensation of 'latency' in my hands/wrists, spontaneous muscle twitching mostly in my legs but a bit in my arms and now, itching -- again, mostly in my legs.

Initially my thought was I'd missed some diabetes signs. Had been a bit on the heavy side a few years back but had gotten that under control. Pandemic times had shifted my patterns so was worried about that. Another possible factor was I'd just finished the two boot Moderna vaccine series.

Went to my primary care physician early on in the tingling phase. He did a blood test. Everything came back normal. He felt I looked good, seemed healthy but referred me to a neurologist just in case. By the time of my appt with the neurologist, tingling had mostly disappeared and been replaced by the subsequent symptoms described above. He did some basic tests and felt there was nothing of concern as the symptoms I described didn't appear to be progressing but ordered another, more targeted, blood test. Results for that also came back normal (B12, B6, A1c). B6 was slightly high, but not enough to concern the doctor though I've since stopped eating fortified cereal as regularly just in case. He said despite itching sensations and the latency feeling, I hadn't lost strength, wasn't displaying balance issues or other progressing symptoms and to not be concerned unless things got worse.

So, this is where I'm at today. It's all tolerable, but my hand latency is annoying, making things like playing the piano slightly more difficult, though my hands do seem to 'get going' after a while.

I don't really know what I'm after here. Assurance? The most likely explanation seems to be some side effect of my vaccination that did cause a bit of nerve damage (immune system attacking - I think can happen w/ real COVID too) and perhaps now that's healing slowly? Or it's something that's just progressing very slowly and will get worse over time.

I'm mostly just doing everything normally as I always was but did start taking some Alpha Lipoic Acid once a day - though haven't been super consistent with it yet.

Anyone have any similar experiences and/or advice? Mostly just want this all to make sense. What the doctors have said has reassured me, but will it ever go back to normal?
Variant is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote