View Single Post
Old 02-21-2022, 01:44 PM

2 yr Member

2 yr Member

hi atticus,

i have been reading and reading on this forum about alcohol neuropathy and keep coming back to your comments and your knowledge about it. i’ve been scared to write anything, but today, the tingling and pins and needles are so distracting, i decided to reach out.
my symptoms started about a month ago. tingling in both feet and hands, occasional numbness on bottom of feet, toes, and fingers, sharp electrical like stabbing sometimes when i walk on bottom of foot, only lasts a quick second, feels like my toes are crammed in shoes like there’s something there, feels like i’m stepping on a rock or pebble when nothing is there. i can walk no problem, my hands and fingers are mobile, i have strength in legs, feet, hands and arms. but the pins and needles feeling throughout my body and the constant tingling in feet, legs, arms and hands is scaring me. i went to the doctor 3 months ago for a routine blood work, my triglycerides were pretty high at close to 400 ( i am small and weigh about 42kg) so the doctor advised me to cut bad carbs. which meant no white bread, pasta, sugar, alcohol, etc. my last drink was 11/25/21 (thanksgiving day). i thought i was a social drinker but i have read otherwise. i have had at least 2 glasses of wine every night for the last decade. on weekends and parties, i would have more… maybe 3 glasses and sometimes a shot of something.
i think it was way over the daily or weekly limit especially for my small build. my symptoms of neuropathy did not start till about a month ago. never had any symptoms except for my 2 small toes going numb maybe once a month or so. did not think anything about it since feeling would come back after half hour or so. my full on neuropathy symptoms started roughly 2 months after ceasing alcohol. and it’s rapidly getting worse. it’s like i’m having a new symptom that appear daily. sometimes i feel great, and have no symptoms for several hours, then it comes back and it reminds me. i am not debilitated, i can walk and do daily things, but the feelings of pins and needles, numbness, and sharp stabbing like pain is not normal.

i have taken your and mrs d’s advice and started the following with some extras i have already been taking for years…

womens multi vitamin
stress b complex
methylb12 1000mcg (started yesterday)
benfotiamine 150mg with 300mg ala (started yesterday)
vitamin c 1000mg
fish oil 1000mg
probiotic
turmeric 1000mg
milk thistle 500mg
digestive enzymes
vitamin e 400iu
vitamin d3 2000iu,

my question is, do the symptoms really get worse before it gets better? why didn’t i have any of these symptoms post ceasing alcohol?
i am scared and really need to know it will get better. i have read you saying distract by reading and watching tv, i have been doing that and it really helps. but sometimes when the tingling is constant, i can’t help worrying and my anxiety kicks in. thank you very much for reading. you and mrs d have been tremendous help.

sacred49
scared49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Atticus (02-23-2022)