View Single Post
Old 02-25-2022, 01:25 PM

2 yr Member

2 yr Member
Default New here with (maybe) mysterious neuro symptoms

Hi All,

I'm in the midst of a workup for episodic severe paresthesias, basically along all the pectoralis muscle attachments, plus arms, across shoulders, with feeling of instability in the legs, all bilaterally, dull ache in sternum and between shoulder blades, plus slight GERD like symptoms and slow transit constipation, and air hunger. First episode was mild, in Nov 2019, but scary enough that I went to ER to rule out atypical MI, which ruled out. Docs said it was GERD and anxiety. Had 2 more visits to ER with admission overnight, had CTA of chest, CT for PE, CT brain, cardiac US, cardiac enzymes, all neg. Had a feeling of core weakness and exhaustion after this episode for several weeks, like going back to work too soon after having the flu.

Pandemic hit, lost my job, was home and didn't really have another mild episode until I cleaned out closets in April 2020. That's when it occurred to me that it could be related to strenuous overhead work, which I did in 11/2019. I couldn't get a doctor to see me so I was just very careful with activities for the rest of the year.

At my PE Nov 2020, PCP suggested it might be abdominal migraine, despite none of my symptoms coming close to that.

2021 brought increased symptoms and in June 2021, asthma got worse. PFTs triggered a flareup as did a "diaphragm release" by and OD. She thought it might be injured phrenic nerve. Using arms in front of me or overhead seems to trigger. Saw a new PCP who said it was thoracic radiculopathy, 2 physiatrists who said they didn't know but ordered PT for core strengthening, Neurologist #1 said cervical spine disease but no need to come back. Pulmonologist said it was asthma and other symptoms are all in my head and welcome to old age. 2017 Cervical MRI shows all the usual wear and tears. 2017 and 12/2021 Thoracic MRI shows a few slight bulges or herniations, and desiccation.

Jan 29, 2022 had a really intense flare of paresthesias after doing some very light arm exercises after having arm and chest tingling while pushing an empty shopping cart. Neuro #2 did many labs to exclude autoimmune and thyroid disorders, and B12/methyl malonic acid. He ruled out MG and MS clinically. He thinks it's fibromyalgia. EMG/NCV is next week. We thought perhaps TOS but he didn't think it would be bilateral. He didn't think it was cervical disease for same reason. FM sort of fits but I don't have pain, except for right hip pain that started last July. I'm tired, but not sleeping well. He thinks I'm fatigued but not suffering from leg weakness. I disagree: my legs feel weak and rubbery. It took until a few days ago to be symptom-free. So here I am and looking forward to input and hopefully helping someone else.
DeliaC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
agate (02-26-2022), Dmom3005 (04-03-2022), Lara (02-25-2022)