View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 04:34 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi joatedm, welcome to NeuroTalk.
I had a lot of traction work when I was in my 30s. I injured myself very badly landscaping my first home. At that time it was mainly lumbar area stenosis with 3 bulging discs. A number of Schmorl's nodes in fact and that compounded by spondylolisthesis at L5/S1 and some other issues. Serious pain, difficulty walking at all, with sciatica and numb toes.

I had a super physio and spent a lot of time with her having traction in various places including at a local private hospital physio department where they had a couple of traction beds set up. Otherwise I spent time hanging off a contraption she had on her wall that had wooden rungs spaced out. Sounds odd but it was very helpful indeed.

She did wait until my torn ligaments healed a bit of course and that took time, and then I was doing gentle exercize in a hot pool. [That was really helpful especially because it was a time when doctors were more likely to send you to bed with a muscle relaxant than get you up moving].

It was a long time ago now and I'm sure treatments have changed a lot but I swear that the time I had resting and then the time I had in the hot pool and the traction saved me from certain surgery at that time.

It was all a very long time ago now, and I'm sure that rehab equipment has become much better, but certainly give it a go if it's safe to do so.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote