View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 07:19 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi JaneClaire, welcome to NeuroTalk.

Wondering how long ago you had the chemotherapy?

Some of the other cancer treatments like targeted therapy and immunotherapy cause peripheral neuropathy as well. My Oncologist is an absolutely wonderful doctor and he is aware of my neuropathy that was caused by a combo Targeted Therapy that only lasted for 10 days of treatment. It started off really bad and then I started to feel a little better for a while but now it's again progressing with Immunotherapy (for met melanoma) but basicially doesn't seem to be part of his job to talk about it for some reason. I find it disturbing actually.

Same with the Oncology nurses. It's as if all these life altering side effects are the norm and they're basically so used to seeing it happen that it's like nothing. ugh.

I have this belief that if I stop moving then I'll never start again so I keep moving, pain or no pain. I push through. Obviously sometimes it's too much so have to rest. Figure out your own pattern. If you have flares from walking too much, slow down. If you have flares from other things, like different foods, or illnesses, work out what you can do about those too.

Apparently some people seem to have their treatment related neuropathy get a lot better after some time. I don't know that it can ever be totally gone. That doesn't seem possible to me or for me at this time with ongoing treatment for years. My main tips would be...

Wear good shoes.

Watch your diet regarding blood sugar levels.

Take care of your feet - toenails especially.

Check out the PN subforum... lots of tips and ideas in there that may help you.
https://www.neurotalk.org/pn-tips-re...er-treatments/

Oncologists/Haematologists here where I live, are very much oriented towards their own speciality only. Probably the same everywhere these days. The Oncologist or Haematologist doesn't treat anything except the cancer. You could to ask for a referral to a Neurologist if you need help with it. Your Oncologist can refer or your GP can. My Oncologist usually sends me off to my GP for anything not melanoma related but he's excellent in that he continually sends updates to her regarding my progress.

The PDF below is from where I live in Australia. There are better sites I'm sure but I like this one set out in brochure form. Some of the treatment options they mention aren't for me personally but there is some helpful info about self-care near the end. Part of page 5 and 6.

https://www.cancer.org.au/assets/pdf...ral-neuropathy
Understanding Peripheral Neuropathy and Cancer

take care there.

Last edited by Lara; 03-10-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote