Old 07-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Banned User

15 yr Member
Banned User

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by towelhorse View Post
Rib cage theory 2

Hi noname I am not sure of your circumstances but I believe that your criticisms are a little harsh. If you are aware of what is causing your problems and the methods that should be used to sort them out then you are very fortunate. It is a pity that it is not so simple for all.
It wasn't meant as a criticism. It was meant to point out that each of us is different. Where posture may not be your situation, it IS crucial in many TOSers including mine. Hence my harshest point was your advocating "forget posture" Forget "truncal strengthening" For you, perhaps you can forget it. For many others, we can't if we want to get relief. Strengthening certain muscles to overwhelm the pull of others which is creating postural imbalances and then compression is KEY for many. If it is not for you, more power to you. I was already flamed for advocating something when I clearly did not advocate it. I usually, if not always, post MY experiences and MY findings to the extent that they may help another. I would never say "forget posture" or "forget trunctal strengthening"

Quote:
A soft rib cage is one which will allow you to twist without muscles in ones back going tight.
A soft rib cage is one which allows you to lie down on your back or sides without the very uncomfortable feeling that you are compromising nerves and muscles start to “tick”

A soft rib cage is one where it is easy to breathe and deep breaths don’t cause a heavy arm feeling or cyanosis or cold hand.
A soft rib cage is one which is free of muscle imbalances, spasms and what I had prior to getting TOS
Chest breathing is caused by?
Some say that it is as a consequence of neural compromise of some of the nerves in the autonomic nervous system. It may not be as a consequence .of tight scalenes
Gotta defer to you about "soft rib cage." Never heard of the rib cage referred to as hard or soft. My suspicion, based on your description, is that the medication helped you to relax your breathing so that your ribcage did not expand as much (hence your reference to hyperinflated...i.e. larger than normal ribcage). You say hard, I say large..you say soft, I say reduced in size. Probably the same thing. But it helps my point which is that "reduced space" whether by a hard or larger than normal ribcage will impinge on the space for nerves and muscles and other tissue...less space, creates impingement/entrapment/irritation/compression and voila...TOS or the like. That's all I said.

Currently, my PT is having me work on lowering my rib cage for certain things/movements. It surprised me that it was contributing (not necessarily causing) certain sx. But as I get more and more familiar with my own anatomy, it make sense. Of course isolating certain muscles to achieve this is more work. Dang.

Quote:
Many believe that the majority of brachial plexus compromise is behind the pec minor and not between the scalenes. It is unfortunate that this was not understood earlier so as to avoid a considerable number of ineffective scalenectomies.
The Brachial Plexus (BP), as I understand it from reading and looking at photos, pictures, drawings etc. passes a large territory and beneath and inbetween and over certain other anatomical structures. In some people it varies the "typical route" and sometimes there are issues and sometimes there are no issues. These detours are common with many nerves.

In my situation (which I assume others share to some extent) the BP is compromised/compressed in the vicinity of the first rib/clavicle. This is usually referred to as costoclavicular syndrome. Not only is the BP compromised, but my subclavian artery and vein is compressed there causing some circulation issues as well. Part of the compromise is aggravated by forward head position (which I have from time to time but am correcting) which tightens the scalenes and causes them to pull UP on the first rib (where one or more scalene is attached). The BP also passes in between or around (depending on each of our unique routes for the BP) the scalenes...so having tight scalenes adds to the compression and irritation...again the circular cycle of irritation, tightness compression that never seems to get relieved. Rounded shoulders also adds to this because of the forward/anterior tilt of the upper body and rib cage. It contributes to the creation of tight pecs including the pec minor. Resulting in what I describe as a sort of concave chest vs. the open chest. Now you have compromise of the BP at the coracoid process which is where the pec minor attaches...surprise surprise. Yes, it is well known that compression here will be yet another TOS offshoot...pec minor syndrome which is the other area in MY case of compression and compromise...both areas are helped/relieved when I engage in trunctal strengthening or what I understand as strengthening back muscles to overwhelm the pull of tight pec minors...correcting posture to open the chest and eliminatte the concaveness...correcting head forward to relieve the stress on the neck muscles including but not limited to the scalenes...and finally (or recently) lowering my ribcage to further assist in the decompression on the first rib/clavicle area.

Quote:
Why is the compromise behind the pec minor? What causes this muscle imbalance? Why is there serratus anterior weakness?
If the B.P. compromise is not between the scalenes but behind the pec minor why do so many people associate the condition with a wry neck or auto accident?
How does a wry neck cause pec minor tightness?
How do they know that bad posture causes TOS?
Why isn’t the bad posture attributed to the fact that someone has muscle imbalances in their shoulder girdle after they had a wry neck?
If the muscle imbalances are as a consequence of neural compromise to those muscles and there are many tight muscles in the thoracic spine, won’t using the “compensatory” muscles to achieve correct posture only make the problem worse?
I maintain that until the muscles that are in spasm in one’s shoulder girdle and upper back are relaxed you are only going to make matters worse if you attempt “correct posture” with tight or weak or neurally compromised muscles.
Oooh...lots of good questions. Compromise behind pec minor...typically (not always)..bad posture..rounded shoulders...weak or tight pec minor muscles...concave chest. Look at the anatomy and you will see a rounded shoulder or it rolling forward REDUCES the space of the BP to pass...thus you increase the likelihood it will get pinched/irritated/injured/compressed. Voila...pain. Muscle imbalance is over time...sit or stand or walk etc...with bad posture and you increase the likelihood. Some are predisposed to this. My PT told me that I was predisposed that I want to take too much responsibility for having bad posture. She said it's bad but not as bad as others who have no issues. I also had huge breasts until 17 and had them reduced...this compounded my poor posture which really never got corrected. All that dragging down. One group vulnerable to TOS are women with huge breasts because of the weight pulling down and forward their upper body posture. Check it out. I'm not sure about why the serratus anterior is weak...but probably the same reason that the upper back muscles rhomboids and mid traps are weak too...they give up trying to hold up the body in the correct upright position and thus become weak...the pecs don't become strong but they tighten in response and almost cause the structure to be permanently bent in this bad position. My back muscles were weak...they are stronger now...not strong enough consistently but it takes time and I have to be patient and keep working at it. I am seeing and feeling the difference. It is one reason I am screaming for people to really work at this. I understand that it may not work for everyone, but it may work more often than is being tried.

Quote:
When I was at my worst, attempting to pull my head back to correct the head forward posture immediately made the symptoms down my arm worse. I maintain that I was moving my head forward to lessen the total compromise to the BP because the normal pressure on the B.P. through the scalenes was now significant when added to the new compromise under the Pec minor, the insignificant became significant (double crush). I still had to use my arm out in front of my body (use pec minor) therefore my head went forward to minimise the total compromise. The head forward was not the problem it was a consequence but it was what they saw.
If the physiotherapists suggestions of how to keep your rib cage down don’t work, obviously it isn’t working now, try the medication, it has turned my world around. I don’t take any other medication for TOS.

The essence of my theory is based on my circumstances and the precept that medical knowledge has always evolved. What is a given today may well be found to be mistaken tomorrow. Medical history is full of misconceptions. Continuous improvement is about reviewing what we thought were truths and reconsidering them in light of new information. Regards towelhorse
To each his own I guess. I don't know your situation well enough to comment about the forward head etc. All literature and common sense says that the head should not be held forward. I recognize there are exceptions. Is it possible though that you are comfortable with forward head because your structure has adapted to this? I forget the explanation but ultimately it is still not good. It was and is a bit of a strain for me to correct my head but ultimately it is not painful and I can almost feel the improved circulation. Though in case the forward head doesn't appear to be the biggest culprit ...but over all upper body posture...thus when I correct shoulders and chest the head almost naturally will go back. I would resort to medication only when all other efforts fail. The one thing I picked up in your many posts that I couldn't relate to or comment on its impact was the compromise of your LTN. You seem to have an element that I did not have. Other than that many of your self help remedies seemed similar to mine...i.e. open the chest...get the body/shoulders to go back etc. I'm surprised that you feel that forward head is good for you...but if it works for you...great.
noname is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote