View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 04:03 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Brain Injury Concerns from Fainting

Hi all,
In the middle of the night Monday (i.e. roughly 54 hours ago), I awoke to use the restroom. When I came back, I drank some water, most of which I inhaled. Accordingly, my body tried to get rid of this water in my lungs, and I remember the pain associated with this.

The next thing I remember is waking up on the floor of my bedroom on the side opposite of my bed. The next morning, I sought out a physician for fear that I had fainted for one reason or another, and I have since visited a cardiologist as well. Overall, I have generally felt OK, but I have noticed some neck stiffness, a pressure in the head, and I overall have not felt particularly sharp (though this could be attributed to my anxiety associated with the event).

My main concern is of course that the lack of memory and unconsciousness stems from a brain injury following the fall. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no memory of how I ended up on the floor (other than this vague and possibly inaccurate sensation that I set my head down and fell asleep), and though I am certainly anxious about what actually happened, it isn't practical to pursue that anxiety. Therefore, I am mainly concerned with worst-case scenarios of this event that medically I should examine.

First of all, is it possible that I suffered a brain bleed? From what I understand, a fall from an upright position has more than enough force to cause this, but the question is if I would be experiencing more significant symptoms. After waking up, I can only recall a cool feeling and subtle buzzing in the back of my head but no headache. If a brain bleed occurred, basically, would I have noticed more significant symptoms? For reference, I have noted some bruising on the hip that is suggestive of a fall.

Secondly, seeing that this event has so far gone unexplained, is it possible that a prior history of concussions can lead to a proclivity for fainting? If so, what safety measures should one take?

At the moment, I am taking things slowly and playing my symptoms by ear, if you will. I have had to do a lot of school work, but I have not yet had a significant symptomatic response to all this work other than fatigue (which of course can manifest in a myriad of ways). In the event of a concussion, however, is it possible that the worst symptoms are delayed in their onset? Therefore, should I be taking it easier now (as a precaution) so as to avoid making symptoms worse?

Any input is greatly appreciated, and any similar experiences that anyone has had would certainly be instructive. This was a freak event for me, and I have never experienced anything like it. I am definitely anxious and a little frightened about what happened, and I would definitely be thankful for any support one can offer.

Thanks!
Tyler
Tbaughcome is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote