Old 05-07-2022, 05:50 AM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
Hi Forsterjoe,

I find the attitude of your Neurologist extraordinary. It sounds to me from your description of events that alcohol is neurotoxic for you. Under those circumstances and at your young age it would be a very risky strategy to continue with alcohol as you have. Your nerves need to last you a lifetime. Typically alcohol causes demyelination of nerves that leads to the symptoms you have experienced. Toxic neuropathy is recoverable if you remove the toxin and allow your body to heal but if you keep drinking it is likely that you won't.

A strategy that you could aim for is to stop drinking until you feel fully recovered and then have an occasional drink, but even that is not without risk.

Best wishes,

Atty
Thank you for your reply and your advice. Do you know approximately how long it will take to recover? I know everyone is different but is the recovery time measured in weeks? Months? Years? Just a ballpark figure really.

Yeah I'm not bothered about not being able to drink. The weight is falling off me since I stopped ... I just want the damn burning to stop!

Cheers!
Forsterjoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote