View Single Post
Old 05-30-2022, 11:07 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

DeanBJJ,

I've been traveling with limited broadband so I could not reply.

The tissue/cellular damage NEVER heals because neurons do not heal or regenerate and levels needed to heal damage. A bone or skin makes scar tissue. There is not such thing as scar tissue in the brain matter.

The brain actually continues to 'suffer damage' after the original injury as the neurons and other healthy cells separate from the damaged/malfunctioning cells so those cells can be instructed to die and be absorbed. Using tRNA, transmitting RNA, they send out die signals to prevent those malfunctioning cells from disrupting the pathways of the healthy cells.

There are diagnostic systems that can compare various post-injury brain functions to baseline/pre-injury function. The injured brain will show failure when under stress even though it may operate at a higher level during non-stress activities.

If your physio had truly had 17 concussions, I can guarantee he is not functioning at pre-injury levels. His tolerance for stress is greatly reduced. How does he define/diagnose a concussion?

Most concussion diagnostics are very subjective and depend on the patient's observation skills of their symptoms. They may not even consider some symptoms as indicators. They confuse anxiety/startle from the impact with a concussion.

You have been told a lot of pure BS. That is common as everybody who goes to a concussion seminar thinks they are experts. Whether it is an IMPACT or CNS Vital Signs or Headminder or other seminar, they are industries looking for profits. Their focus is supporting engaging in at-risk sports with a primary focus of establishing Return to Play criteria. The Zurich Consensus on Concussion in Sports and other later global sports conferences have struggled to acknowledge the risks because they cause athletes to leave the sports WHERE THE SPORTS INDUSTRY MAKES A PROFIT.

Trying to diagnose a concussion by trying to analyze the forces involved is meaningless. Your motorcycle crash cannot be analyzed. Your loss of consciousness could have been a vagal response, syncope, concussion LOC, or from a myriad of causes. Corotid or vertebral blood flow could be the cause. The reduced blood flow could have caused damage. Nobody can say.

BJJ is an at risk combat sport. Make your own mind about how you want to live you life.

But, as I said elsewhere, considering BJJ is like asking, Can I have sex until I get a little bit pregnant.

I have lived with neurological/behavior/cognitive/memory struggles since 1965. I've suffered 5 events since then that each set me back further. In 2001, 1 minor event changed my life. That does not count the other 8-10 mild concussions.

My wife lives life without her right leg due to cancer. I would never minimize her struggles but I would trade my right leg for a healthy brain with no questions.

There is an old saying. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 05-31-2022 at 12:13 AM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote