View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 01:04 AM

1 yr Member

1 yr Member

Dear Members!

I had more or less a 10 years long relationship with alcohol up and down with some pauses and some binge drinking periods in the end. The past 3 years being the worst, especially since COVID started. I had a tough life and looked for some relief in drinking, which I learned was the worst choice of my life. I spent almost half a year of a hellish nightmare as a result in what seems to be alcoholic neuropathy.

I had the following symptoms:
- Weakness in the feet (I had difficulties walking sometimes)
- Pain in the hands
- Numbness in my hands and feet
- Small electric shocks in random parts of my body, especially fingers, toes
- Failing motor functions in my right hand
- Tingling in my fingers and toes
- Spasms, cramps, especially in the night or in the morning
- Insomnia (I slept less than 1 hour a day for almost a month)
- Numbness in the nights which woke me up once finally asleep
- Complete sexual disfunction
- Shaking hands (I could not even write or had difficulties typing on the phone or computer)
- False sensation of temperature in the hands and feet, legs and arm. (that was for me the worst of all, cold legs and feet.)
- Pain in my back
- A false feeling of being bitten by stinging nettle on my extremities or my back (I still have this ocassionally, if I eat too much sugar or stress out)
- short term memory loss
- concentration problems
- depression and anxiety
- cold needles on ramdom part of my body, especially extremities
- false feeling of waterdrops anywhere (really crazy)

I did not have all the symptoms together, but usually 2-3 of them. I stopped drinking in December 2021 and since then every week was a little better than the previous one. I have now 5-6 good days in a week. In January my best day was like my worst now. I have days now without any symptoms or very mild ones. The doctor said after the ENG/EMG measurement that in 6 months I could be completely cured.

I started taking vitamins, doing daily excercise and eating a balanced diet right after quitting alcohol. That means from one day to another without any help. I was so afraid of this sickness, that there was no question that I have to quit drinking right away.

Now I take Benfotiamine (I am doing my first month on this. I live in Hungary, healthcare is for free, but it is very slow) in the mornings and complete it with B1, B6, B9, B12, Folat. I take some Vitamin which is called Milgamma N, but already cut down on the Vitamin intake, only go back to the old dosage on my bad days, which are less common nowadays, thanks God.

If you are interested in more details. Please ask. I would gladly answer.
jean2399 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Icehouse (08-01-2022)