Thread: New to this
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 08:56 PM

1 yr Member

1 yr Member

Hi,

So I don't know where to begin. I'm two weeks post my hospitalization and diagnosis of peripheral nerve neuropathy(motor and sensory). All my tests and my spine are fine. For a little insight, I'm fairly young just crossing the late 20's threshold. I've lost most sensation and movement(90% without meds and staring at the limb focusing on movement) in 4 of my toes and movement in my ankle on my dominate side. My doctor during my first check showed me that it was actually my whole leg that was weak. Before this, I was perfectly fine...no diabetes, social drinker...no reason to ever visit the hospital. I've tried not taking the medications once and that showed me how much they are actually holding back. When i take my meds, I feel fine ,but when i try to walk without my cane my leg well yeah...Some days are harder then others, sometimes i can move those toes and balance other times its a hard no. Some days it feels like I'm being bitten by thousands of fire ants, sometimes no. Does anyone have any tips or insight on moving forward?

I'm struggling....and everyone is trying to help ,but its not helping because...the things i used to do ...i can't do or its hard to do. I don't mean to whine ,but it feels like i'm mourning a chapter. I'm also angry because, I don't know what happened. I have no idea how to do this.

hi,

So i don't now where to start. I'm 2 weeks out the hospital. 4 weeks living with this. I don't know what happened. I was fine. I did nothing. I go to work i go home, rinse and repeat till the weekend. I'm a dad, a brother, a husband, and a father. For my particular neuropathy I have motor and varying sensory. I've lost most function in four of my toes, ankle, and have leg weakness on my dominate side. I can walk albeit extra clumsy and the pain may/may not flair up so its best to have my cane at all times. I have to admit I'm struggling. I'm struggling because no one including my doctors knows how this happened. I'm struggling because when i tried not taking meds,(i was trying to power through to get back to work and my normal quicker) I thought i couldn't stand the air or a blanket touching me. I have good days where its just numbness or days where I'm extraordinarily sensitive to touch I'm angry because there hasn't been a linked cause to this effect. Everyone wants to help ,but i don't know exactly how to help myself. Most of my old activities are harder to do: cooking, Sunday walks with my kid, driving to discover new restaurants, and my own dream of having a business in the food industry feels all derailed. I'm struggling to define what my new normal is.

Does anybody have any tips or hints to make this new adjustment? I really appreciate any help.

Last edited by Jomar; 08-02-2022 at 10:03 PM. Reason: merged
cyoung35 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote