View Single Post
Old 08-30-2022, 09:33 AM
Newly Joined

1 yr Member
Newly Joined

1 yr Member
Default Differentiating Whiplash from Concussion

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and appreciate the ability to join this space.

I crashed on my bike last week - went over the bars and landed hard. I was able to get my arms up in front of my face while mid-air. They caught most of the crash but my helmet visor was pushed up a bit and I caught a small scrape on my chin. Still, I didn't feel much of a head impact (if any) but immediately felt my neck tighten up.

Since then, I have had severe neck tightness, intermittent headaches that are obviously craniosacral, but also headaches across my temples. It's these temple headaches that make me worried I had a concussion despite avoiding a hard blow to the head.

I had two concussions in 2015/2016 from hockey and avoided them for years after before a direct head-to-ground impact mountain biking last summer. I recovered with vision therapy and have felt amazing recently. Each of those concussions came with wooziness and disorientation that I do not feel right now. My balance seems totally fine and my vision feels healthy, though a bit fatigued at times. But the temple/forehead headaches that come and go are really stressing me out...

I am diagnosed OCD/anxiety and have years of therapy under my belt to combat it. I really struggle with concussions as my therapist and doctors are usually in direct odds - one says to ignore it so as not to obsess and the other says to take it very seriously.

I'm reaching out to this community for advice on how to take it from here. Based on your experiences and my description of the crash, do I need to treat this like a concussion? Or do I have whiplash and a bad case of anxiety that is manifesting symptoms?

Thank you for hearing me out.
traxtion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote