View Single Post
Old 09-04-2022, 05:03 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was going to pester Icehouse for not checking in but I saw:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChances View Post
I got some labs back. High liver enzymes and after being pre-diabetic for years, I have finally crossed the line and am officially diabetic. I am not surprised. In abstinence I binge on sugar and still I do little exercises.

That's the downside of such a long thread: many pages/moons ago I was very vocal about sugar. My pain never went away until I decided to eat an anti-inflammatory diet, which is nothing fancy, but just trying to avoid fast carbs and most certainly: sugar. In any form, natural sugar is sugar. Orange juice is the same for your liver (give or take) as whisky. Makes sense, as in the end alcohol is just fermented sugar. We have five year olds with fatty livers these days, and it's certainly not from them boozing up.

After quitting drinking for a year, I binged on food. Then I got myself in gear again, and did a year long healthy diet. Nothing strict. Still ate french fries once a week. Well, my triglycerides went down 70%, my sugar level was perfect, my liver was completely healed. My GP had my cholesterol tests done twice because she couldn't believe the numbers. HDL up, LDL down, triglyc. annihilated.

Yes, there is more to it, like portion sizes, skipping meals when you don't feel hungry, no snacking etc. but overall it wasn't too hard and had spectacular results. FWIW I read a few days ago that a study indeed proved that a decent diet could get 90% of full on T2 diabetics back to non diabetic level, just by diet alone (exercise is a plus, but won't do much about weight, that's more about cardiac health).

So yes: sugar. I know I used it as a little helper to really stay off the booze, but after a year that "diet" (it's not a diet really, just watching what you eat and knowing that even honey is just as bad as sugar when it comes to our liver) made me feel so.much.better.

Give it a try, turn it around, you have agency here. After that year my dietary hormones were back in balance and I could ease off without immediately blowing up again. Yet still today, when I feel a bit too much pain, I get back to watching sugar intake like a hawk.

Hope this helps, keep the faith!
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Atticus (09-05-2022)