View Single Post
Old 09-11-2022, 12:00 PM
Newly Joined

1 yr Member
Newly Joined

1 yr Member
Default New member - SFN seeking help

Hi everyone, I’m from Sydney, first post. 53yo male. Interested in your thoughts.

I began to have SFN symptoms in Nov 2021 - burning and numbness in hands and feet. The symptoms waxed and waned and would be mild for weeks. But as they persisted I saw a doctor and neurologist. The neurologist thought SFN after confirming large fibres were ok, and arranged for more detailed testing at a hospital.

It has taken 6 months for that appointment to come through and during this time the symptoms increased in frequency but not severity.

I was recently at the hospital (Aug 2022) and seen by a team of neurologists. They did nerve conduction and a sweat test and I’m waiting for the results.

Since the sweat test however, my symptoms have blown out. I now have burning throughout most of my body, where before it was just hands and feet with occasional light symptoms up my legs.

I saw my general practitioner who felt that the increased symptoms meant the neuropathy was across most of my body and the sustained heat of the sweat test aggravated those nerves.

In the process of trying to figure out a cause. Although my sugars are normal that is being checked in more detail. My iron levels have decreased over the years but I’ve taken supplements and they’re about to be retested. Last B12 was just over 200.

Worthwhile mentioning that I was diagnosed with postural tachycardia syndrome in 2013, which is possibly auto immune. My doctor thinks auto immune is the most likely cause of SFN, as my symptoms started shortly after the second Pfizer vax.

I’ve started to look into what to take for this and ordered PEA and Alpha-lipoic acid.

Have to admit the sudden increase in symptoms has taken its toll on me in the last week. Pain is now waking me up at night and the future doesn’t look bright.

Thanks in advance for any insights and advice.
Selenius is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
agate (09-12-2022), Lara (09-11-2022)