View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 06:52 AM
Newly Joined

1 yr Member
Newly Joined

1 yr Member
Frown Loved one, mental health post concussion

Hi, I’m posting about my 21-year old D. She’s a college student with one certain concussion from a fall and other head impacts that she believes are multiple concussions.

Shes about 18 months past the last one and seems to be getting worse mental health problems. She has been very independent and didn’t want me involved with her medical treatments, which did include a brain injury doctor, chiropractor, some pt, and recommendations for eye therapy. ( was on a wait list during COVID, and then when they called, she didn’t go).

She still resists my involvement but is now calling me 10-15 times a day asking for help. When I go, she’ll back out of going to the ER or refuse to see me. It’s true - I’m not sure what they would do.

It’s brought up other issues she has with me and magnified them by 1000. I feel I do have to step in though now because she doesn’t seem to be able to function mentally. I’m concerned.

Symptoms she reports:anxiety, headaches, no appetite so weight loss, black outs, memory that comes and goes, sadness, disassociating. Highly emotionally dysregulated. Angry nearly all the time.

She’s in college and does drink heavily, smokes weed I believe and generally lives an unhealthy lifestyle, so I believe all of this is also keeping her symptomatic. She doesn’t believe it.

As a mom, I’m not sure what to do or where to start. Neuropsychologist? Other doctor? Er and let them direct us? Try to convince her to leave school? She’s very adversarial and volatile with me, which has never been the case. We are in Wisconsin. Any help or referrals are appreciated.
Thank you.
Michelemom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote