View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 06:53 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Confused

I am very frightened. My legs are very bad. When I stand my legs are so weak it feels like they will buckle beneath me. I am under enormous stress always but worse just now so that may be a factor but sure feels like they are progressively worse. I did not expect miracles but at least was hoping to stop the progression.
Last week my pre-diabetic status was upgraded to diabetic. I'm actually not surprised as without drinking I crave carbs and sugar and so indulging since the worse of two evils. I will need go to a nutritionist because I know so little other than to stop or limit the carbs and sugar. Also recent labs show elevated liver and kidney levels. Why would they still be going up without drinking?

K, so other than the basics of eat right, exercise as best I can, quit smoking, and the supplements, anything else you can think of that might help?
I was hoping that the joys of sobriety would bring a new life which included better health, decreased depression and anxiety, maybe even the opportunity to get out, make friends and even a little job, but it's not happening. I am just going downhill. I am struggling to not stay off the pitty pot too long but do allow myself to grieve all my losses, both self induced and the horrific pain brought on by others. Self reflection is important as I ran away with alcohol for far too long but it will take me down if I get to confronting all my demons and facing my reality all at once.

I know I should start doing meetings. I am what we call a dry drunk. I don't know why I am so intimidated, I did them for years and never found more love and acceptance than with all those wonderful people. Part maybe there is no one to force me like previously when my sponsor insisted I do my 90 in 90. I know the other issue is that I have a bit of social anxiety thing going on.

Well any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Anything you all did that I am not doing that helped your neuropathy? Another major set back was my physical therapist. I have been going there for weeks for a bad back. I have done PT numerous times for this issue with no improvement so gave up a long while ago. Only recently started up and I gotta say this therapist really knows his stuff. He is remarkable and brought me far when all others failed. We have also been working on balance and strengthing of legs just for overall well being and not specifically neuropathy related but when I asked him what could we do to focus on the neuropathy he said "Nothing". It is impossible to treat. I guess I knew this but he is such a miracle worker I had been hopeful and actually dreaded asking. I was afraid what he might say.
SecondChances is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Atticus (09-20-2022)