View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 06:07 AM

2 yr Member

2 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
"I just want to be able to do things like snowboard, or ride roller coasters, or drive without feeling the bumps in the road, run, jump, headbang at a concert etc."

Give up on ever head banging. That is very dangerous. It disrupts the fluid flow and control in the brain and can cause life threatening damage.

Head banging IS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOR.

Riding roller coasters will require learning how to ride them so the vibrations and quick movements are moderated.

Think of it this way. You made bad choices with BJJ. You cannot undo those choices.

I bet your PT and others are over stressing your neck. You need strengthening with minimal movement. Expect it to take up to TWO years to stabilize your neck if you are disciplined. You need to learn new movement disciplines.

STOP WHINING. That only makes improving more difficult. It stimulates the wrong chemicals in the body.

From past experience, most in your situation need a short period of medication. An SSRI, SNRI, or such. Some use natural supplements like 5-HTP and L-Theanine.
Hi Mark

I just want to preface by saying I appreciate all the help and advice you give to everyone on here.

However, I have started to see a few things that I disagree on and that I think you are making an incorrect judgement on.

Firstly for the headbanging. You say it is not normal behaviour. I disagree. Headbanging is a type of dance and as long as it is done at a reasonable rate does not cause any issues.

I'd like to see some actual evidence regarding this "It disrupts the fluid flow and control in the brain and can cause life threatening damage." Because if this is true, I'd like to know this.

But I play in a Thrash/Death metal band and have played music and headbanged all my life. I've attended MANY concerts and thrashed around, headbanged HARD when I was younger, pushed and threw myself around in the pit with others and never suffered anything more than a sore neck the next day or two.

I'm not disagreeing entirely that headbanging is dangerous, as it CAN be when done too aggressively, too prolonged or too fast, but when I say I want to return to headbanging, I'd not saying I want to return to thrashing my head up and time like I am trying to rip my head off, I'd just like to be able to move my head back and forth at a reasonable rate without fearing I'm going to injure my brain.

Onto my next point "You made bad choices with BJJ." I really don't think it is fair to say they were bad choices. That is like me saying to you that you made bad choices driving everyday to work as you could crash and really injure yourself.

BJJ was a hobby, a huge passion and love for me, and I did it without issues for the better part of 2 years. Yes, I did suffer setbacks, but I did a sport I enjoyed.

I then tried to go back, found I couldn't, and hung it up. Those are not bad decisions, those are tough decisions I made for a sport and hobby I love, something in life I enjoy.

Now, I did actually have a few questions:

"Riding roller coasters will require learning how to ride them so the vibrations and quick movements are moderated."

- Can you explain what you mean to moderate vibrations and quick movements?

"I bet your PT and others are over stressing your neck. You need strengthening with minimal movement. Expect it to take up to TWO years to stabilize your neck if you are disciplined. You need to learn new movement disciplines."

- What do you mean I am overstressing the neck? Too much massaging and acupuncture?

- What are "new movement disciplines?"

Cheers
DeanBJJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote