View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 03:54 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

You mention whole body pain and numbness. I have no numbness with my muscle issues. I have numbness with my peripheral neuropathy.

I would find the results from when you had your last blood test.
I'd find my Vit D levels, my Serum Calcium levels and B12.
As always, please correct me if I'm wrong - In the USA Serum Calcium should be 8.5 to 10.9 mg/dl. (Au measure differently i.e. 2.1 and 2.5 millimoles per litre (mmol/L) )

Low Vitamin D can cause an enormous array of symptoms all over the body. It controls calcium levels in the blood and we need good levels for bones, muscles and general good health. BUT, it's a fine line. Too much is not good. Too little is not good. It is so under rated. Plus a lot of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia are similar to symptoms of low Vitamin D/low or high calcium. Then there's also Polymyalgia. I see a lot of literature around that says that Fibromyalgia does't cause inflammation whereas Polymyalgia does. That isn't how my doctors see it but maybe they're wrong I don't know. I'm on a treatment for melanoma that actually causes inflammation in doing its job so in my case it's the constant inflammation that's caused the fibro... long story.

Do you get low grade fever?

Fibromyalgia also shows up as an enormous array of symptoms all over the body. It doesn't just show up as muscle pain. It affects sleep. I always get asked if I feel less tired after I sleep. No never. It causes sleep disturbance and when we wake up we don't feel rested. So you're dealing with fatigue, sleep problems, muscle pain, cognitive dysfunction and a heap of other problems.

What is Fibromyalgia – Fibromyalgia Australia

There are so many health issues that affect our nerves and muscles. Sometimes we have several conditions at the same time. Sometimes it's more simple than that. My PN started as an overnight reaction - neuropathy in feet and lower legs - to a cancer treatment that I was on for only 10 days and ended up in a very bad way. I know exactly where my neuropathy starts and stops. For me it sounds more simple than for you and yet I have this overlap with cancer treatment being inflammatory, low vit D, slightly higher than normal calcium = parathyroid problem.

Don't blame yourself. Try to keep things simple, start with your last regular blood tests. Get a copy if you can.

Start by ruling things out yourself.

If your B12 is good, rule that out.
If your Vit D levels are acceptable, rule that out.
If your Serum Calcium is good, that's great you can rule that out too.

Think about getting another opinion. You need some answers and there's a lot going on. You can't resign yourself completely. There are treatments for some of the things mentioned above. If you find that there actually is no treatment for whatever is ailing you then at least you know and can move forward with adaptations to your lifestyle and try to get some aids for sleeping and pain relief and other things at the same time. I've had to adapt to using a wheelchair when I go out yet at home I use a ride-on mower to mow the grass on an acreage. I now have to use pain relief. It's a balance.

It's called quality of life.

[can't speak to statins as I have no personal experience except for the 20 plus years of reading from forum members here and another place].
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote