View Single Post
Old 11-16-2022, 03:57 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi.
As you know, I don't have MG but read your messages and started having a look in the old threads for you.

I'm not 100% sure I am looking for the correct information that you need but I did find dozens of old threads and posts about EMG failing.

This one below is about the closest I found regarding time off the Mestinon before an SFEMG. Underneath, I'll highlight the parts in her post that are related to "time off medications".

Note: Tests were for SFEMG, not EMG.

I can look for more specific info. for you if you need.

snipped message below

https://www.neurotalk.org/31498-post12.html

Quote:
He scheduled a SFEMG to measure the level of weakness...

He did not tell me to go off my medication so I was taking Mestinon, Prednisone and Imuran. The SFEMG was normal.

He then decided I needed to be off the Prednisone and did a fairly rapid taper - over the course of about 6 weeks I went from 40mg to nothing -

I had the second SFEMG (a different doctor performed the test) about two days after stopping the Prednisone and had been off the Mestinon for about 12 hours. It was normal.

He also did a muscle biopsy and it showed muscle atrophy which he attributed to Prednisone. He told me I was fine and that there was nothing wrong with me

he referred me to Mayo Clinic for a 2nd opinion (really my 4th opinion). I checked into a hotel with my 4 sisters stopped taking the Mestinon

I was off the Imuran and Prednisone for about six months by the time I got in to Mayo.

I was off the Mestinon a little more than three days and had my third SFEMG and it showed a lot of abnormal jitter and blocking so I have a confirmed diagnosis of MG

- Had a thymectomy in April - get IVIg every two weeks - take Imuran and Mestinon. Crazy...

Last edited by Lara; 11-16-2022 at 04:45 PM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote