View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 09:00 AM

1 yr Member

1 yr Member
Default Morton's Neuroma after decompression surgery

I tried several podiatrists after experiencing my first incidence of Morton's Neuroma - they all had pretty much the same approach - x-ray (in one case an MRI), exam, recommendation for custom orthotics, recommendation for "softer" shoes, steroid shots, and finally, a recommendation for the neurectomy surgery. The pre-surgery alternatives didn't help at all, and I didn't want the neurectomy surgery at that point. A podiatrist my girlfriend went to for something unrelated had a different surgery suggestion - Endoscopic decompression of the intermetatarsal nerve - far less invasive, and it just made a lot more sense to me at that point. The doctor set my expectations to expect a 50% reduction in pain - not a 100% fix, and that also made sense to me. The surgery went OK, recovery was minimal, and today I am almost 100% OK, AS LONG AS I'M WEARING A PAIR OF CROCS. I haven't found any other shoes that are even close to being comfortable - with the Crocs there's almost no pain at all. I went hiking in Utah in the Crocs and it was wonderful. But, without the Crocs, if I'm barefoot, it's pain from the first step. Not sure if it's the soft sole with the Crocs, or the extra width, but they are a lifesaver for me. I'm retired, 72, and I don't care if people look at me being strange for wearing Crocs all the time. I'd like to make the pain go away all the time, but the trade-off of surgery and the long recovery time against maybe only a marginally better situation is not worth it for me to have surgery. I am wondering about the cyrosurgery for Morton's Neuroma - that might reduce the recovery time and provide as good as or better benefits than the neurectomy surgery. Any thoughts??
Texas Yankee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote