View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 01:02 PM

1 yr Member

1 yr Member

It has now been a month since I bumped my shoulder and the situation is still horrible. I am getting very very desperate and scared.
The symptom that is concerning me is my complete inability to concentrate and focus. I am in medical school which is quite academically demanding but I literally cannot concentrate on anything or think properly. I would not describe it as brain fog more like a complete inability to concentrate my attention on something that is cognitively complex/challenging. And when I do try to study I also experience the strange unsteady/dizzy feeling I was describing earlier.

This symptom is awful because, like I said, I am in medical school and have always scored very high grades. But since this shoulder bump I have not been able to study at all. Not even for 10 minutes. The inability to focus is constant and I have not found anything yet that makes it improve or go away, even for just a bit.

What is going on?
I do not really have any pain symptoms--no headaches or neck pain or anything like that. The primary symptom I feel is this intense and debilitating inability to focus which is ruining my life. It has honestly made me borderline suicidal I am not sure what to do anymore. Without being able to study I have lost my entire identity and purpose, not to mention I have exams coming up soon, which I am 100% not able to even try to study for. Will this ever go away? I cannot deal with this any longer. Please, help me.

Info about my previous concussion:
I got my first concussion 5 years ago from being hit in the face by a volleyball. The symptoms (headache, nausea, visual problems) lingered for a long time and improved very very gradually. I did not really do much treatment over this period as nothing was available but was mostly symptom free for the past two years except occasional periods of brain fog. I did take an SSRI for a while to treat anxiety around getting a new concussion from bumps.
melody_sings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote