Thread: advice
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 06:56 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Tim in MA,

I doubt you have had 4 or 5 concussions. The rest were sub-concussive impacts that triggered your anxiety. Most of the types of bumps you mention are common head bumps. A head rest has enough impact absorption value to only cause some whiplash. Chiro for that.

If I counted all of my head bumps like you mentioned, in my active life and always wearing a hat, I'd be in the hundreds.

I bet you learned something about 13 years ago that caused you to be aware of head impact risks. Did you see the movie Concussion in 2013? That triggered many people into a condition I call Concussion Anxiety Syndrome. If follows the exact same thoughts you mentioned. A bit of OCD and CAS can take over a persons life. Something caused you to start keeping score...... I bet you check for symptoms after a head impact. Anxiety can interrupt sleep leading to fatigue/tiredness. Simple tiredness and fatigue can cause trouble with screens.

If you are easily startled by these bumps, the brain can use that as a trigger to play back memories of prior events and the symptoms from those events.

For many, CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) can be helpful. Learning new thought patterns so the negative thoughts do not get started.

I have a high startle response and must not let it get me on the wrong thinking. I often direct my thoughts to the item or person who put the item there, even if it is fruitless or silly.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote