View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 04:40 PM

1 yr Member

1 yr Member
Grin Searching for info on alcohol induced idiopathic peripheral neuropathy

Hello, everyone!

I stumbled across this forum while searching for information on treating idiopathic peripheral neuropathy, brought on by alcohol abuse. I'm 54, female, and will be sober 3 years on 4/12/2023. I was hospitalized twice at the beginning of COVID-19 quarantine; those helped me finally confront my drinking.

My neuropathy is mostly in my feet, although it is present somewhat in my ankles and lower legs. Other than quitting drinking, I've been treating my condition with several supplements, which my neurologist agrees has been helpful. Iverecently had surgery, which required me to stop all of my vitamins and other things. Imslowly adding them back, and figure now is a good time to take stock and see what's working and what isn't. I started taking alpha-lipoic acid about 2 years ago, and it's really been helpful! I think it might be easier on my stomach to change to RLA, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing for me. Also, since the surgery has brought about hormonal changes, I think my body may respond differently to my supplements now. (I was in menopause prior to surgery, but since having it means that all of my body's sources for producing estrogen have been removed, there's bound to be some changes!)

This looks like a fantastic community! I look forward to learning from you, and getting to know you. Thanks in advance for your support, encouragement, and knowledge.
EmmieR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote