View Single Post
Old 05-16-2023, 12:04 AM
Newly Joined

1 yr Member
Newly Joined

1 yr Member
Default Ironic Story

Hey Everyone,

I got a concussion a little over a year ago and since then have had what people here describe as Concussion Anxiety Syndrome.

I've been reading posts for the past week and honestly I was surprised, but relieved, that that many people here also experience irrational worry when they have the slightest bumps or jolts to their head. I have a history of OCD so when this started happening I recognized it as more OCD.

I believe there's two parts to this for me - 1. OCD/Anxiety and 2.PTSD/Disregulated nervous system . It's a vicious cycle, where my body freaks out before my brain has a chance to process whats going on, so then it tries to make sense of the panic. The opposite can also happen where OCD will obsess over a small bump or something and then create physical symptoms that aren't really there.

For the past week or so, whenever I've had a small bump or jostle to the head I've thought back to the stories on this forum which helped me not obsess, so thank you for that. I've been priding myself on how well I've been doing this past week lol.

Anyways, coincidentally enough, tonight I was pulling into the parking garage for my building when the gate, which is this giant metal gate that swings open and closed, closed on me while I was pulling in. It struck the back wheel well of my car and scratched the side of my back bumper.

I don't remember the impact being that bad, after all it hit the side of my car and was prob only a foot or something away and the gate itself doesn't move that fast BUT of course it was a pretty jarring experience where I quickly went into fight or flight mode, which then of course led to me wondering if the impact was worse than I was remembering and maybe I got whiplash and I have another concussion.

I had some physical/mental symptoms follow as well, although I've been better at recognizing them as what they are - anxiety (hopefully lol) and trying to live my life. I even negotiated a job offer for 35 mins in the middle of this so can't be that bad.

Like Pacino says in the Godfather - "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"
Attached Thumbnails
Ironic Story-img_0496-jpg   Ironic Story-img_0498-jpg   Ironic Story-img_0494-jpg  
irsugh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote