Thread: Ironic Story
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2023, 01:33 PM
Newly Joined

Newly Joined

Will do! I'm really excited to try it. I actually attempted to try it about 9 months ago, but before we got started the therapist said it could cause seizures which obviously was not a relaxing way to start the therapy. Needless to say, I ended up getting overwhelmingly nauseous as soon as we started, pretty sure it was more anxiety than anything.

The therapist I'm going to next week does "EMDR intensives" which is essentially multi hour sessions which is designed to be several sessions in one, and allows for time to ease in and out of the session. When I tried it with the seizure lady I basically got anxious and our hour was up and she hung up on me (it was remote) and I was left saying to myself "what the heck what that?" - so definitely excited and hopeful to try this longer format.

The interesting thing is, I was in exposure therapy for years with an OCD therapist when the concussion happened, so naturally tried exposure therapy to combat these episodes but it wasn't that helpful, which I believe was because like you're staying, the startle response basically takes over before I can make sense of whats happening. Unfortunately my therapist wasn't very understanding of the concussion and kept forcing exposure therapy down my throat despite it not helping, and unwilling to consider that other methodologies in conjunction with exposure therapy may also be helpful, which I don't think helped my outlook.

Also, I've had such a low tolerance for vision therapy, exercise rehab etc and my doctor's have theorized that it's due to such an overactive nervous system so would make sense that the startle response is also the culprit here.

Super grateful for finding this forum though because I thought this was the only person in the world that this happened to!
irsugh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote