View Single Post
Old 09-23-2023, 03:45 PM

Question Neurology consult for idiopathic PN?

Hi, all,

I've been a lurker in this forum for several years. I don't recall seeing a case like mine, but I might have missed it, as there is so much info here.

I have a very slowly progressing PN that began with tingling in the toes on one foot about 6 years ago. About a year later, the tingling began in the other foot. A few years later, when I curled my toes, it felt like there were cotton balls stuffed under them. The last couple of years, I've started to feel a tightness in my lower calves (and have also become very prone to muscle cramps in the calves and feet -- may or may not be related to the PN).

Earlier this week, I finally had a nerve conduction study performed which had a lot of very technical terms, with everything normal except:
Normal latency with low amplitude in the left sural sensory NCS.
Normal latencies with low amplitudes in the bilateral superficial peroneal sensory NCS

The conclusion was:
Distal and symmetric, axonal sensory peripheral polyneuropathy affecting the bilateral lower limbs
Which I interpret as, tingling in my feet.

Bloodwork has eliminated many possible causes, but not hinted at any possible culprit.

My PCP said he can get me a consult with a neurologist if I want one. But based on what I’ve read here and elsewhere, I’m unsure whether that is going to accomplish anything other than cost a great deal of money. (I would gladly pay that money to find a cause, but the odds seem very low.)

Does anyone have any encouraging report they can share that would help me believe that a consultation might be worthwhile?

Thanks for reading,

Ken
Ken3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote