View Single Post
Old 10-13-2023, 07:58 AM

Default COVID Induced Small Fiber Neuropathy - long term prospects for recovery?

I am brand new so I will write my story.

In Dec 2022 I caught covid on a plane to Thailand. Moderate infection, but I got "pins and needles" in fingers and toes during infection. 7 weeks post infection I got pain followed by cold and numbness in fingers and feet. Many emergency room visits and lots of bloodwork and MRI, etc neurologist diagnosed me with:

Small fiber neuropathy caused by covid

EMG test showed positive. Did not do skin biopsy. Took Cymbalta for 5 months.

Present day is 8 months from first neuropathy symptoms (pins and needles in feet and hands)

Today's symptoms (8 months since infection)

* Partial numbness in ENTIRE body. Scalp, lips, eyelids, ears, torso, penis, legs, toes.
* No pain
* Some brain fog (probably long covid related)

The numbness seems to be progressing, as it is now in my gums and tongue. However, all of my autonomic symptoms have completely reversed (in first 2 months) as follows:

* Heart variability issues
* Inability to sleep (waking up every hour)
* Bladder control problems (wet the bed once)
* tremors in arms and hands

All tests have come back negative. All blood work is ideal, ANA, ANA2, even spinal fluid was tested for everything because I was in Thailand for the COVID infection (suspected a tropical virus in my brain).

My question to the forum however:

Is there any expected recovery from this or will the numbness continue to degenerate or stay stagnant? Any time frame I should look for?

I am now 8 months in, take all the recommended supplements and eat very well. My life is difficult to live because every time I have an itch I remember I have greatly diminished feeling in my skin.

Any and all help, advice or ideas, medical tests you recommend, anything! All appreciated.
RationalBeing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote