View Single Post
Old 10-16-2023, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Hi again,
Parasthesias are mentioned very often in the post/long covid literature and with similar time lines to what you have written. It seems to be very common in fact. I also read one article that suggested that the severity of the initial illness was a predictor for onset of neuropathy post infection and fatigue played a huge part in that. However, at 8 months in I wouldn't give up and expect a very bleak outcome, plus post viral syndromes tend to differ so much from person to person. Never give up.

Re-reading your original post, I would wonder whether some of those symptoms you're experiencing are transient parasthesias that may eventually subside rather than all due to small fibre neuropathy.

I'm also wondering if you were given any antivirals or other medications while in hospital in Thailand.

Anyway, I was reading some more articles and came across this one that concentrates more on what they called nutraceutical strategies. It's very long.

I found that very interesting.

This is a very small number of people involved but I wonder what the "neuropathy treatment" was that apparently helped 7 out of 9 patients.I'll try to find out. I don't really understand why you were given the Cymbalta.

Oh, OK, so here's the free full text. It might tell more.
Lara, fantastic information. I've been taking Alpha Lipoic acid and Acytl-L-Carnitine as well as Vitamin D, NAC and just a general B-complex from costco since nearly the beginning. Maybe they have slowed the progression somewhat. I am going to try high dose thiamine starting today.

As to your question - I didn't take any anti virals during the infection last December, only tylenol (paracetemol). My infection was standard I think - I had very high heart rate which sent me to the hospital in Bangkok but then was sent home and rested. I recovered in about 5 days, similar to the flu. I Just had a really nasty cough for about 4 weeks.

I was given cymbalta as first line treatment for neuropathy - for pain and for the anti anxiety/anti depressant part. I had severe pain in my arms and legs in the beginning as well as coldness and I also took gabapentin for about 2 months while the cymbalta started to work.

Thank you also for telling me not to give up hope. It means a lot.

Finally - just to be clear - I have numbness EVERYWHERE in my body. So not sure if this could be called paresthesia unless its possible to have paresthesia in every nerve ending - do you know if this is possible?

I haven't lost my sense of smell or taste, I'd just say everything with a nerve is "blunted" in my whole body.
RationalBeing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (10-16-2023)