View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 02:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Suffering Post Concussion Syndrom

I'm a 51 year old female and love cycling. In mid May I was hit by a car while on my bike. The car turned left and ran into me, knocking me onto the hood and then onto the pavement and the back of my head bounced serveral times. I was wearing my helmet and had no neck injuries, but got a headache a few minutes later. Well, I went to the ER and they treated the bruises on my legs and gave me Naproxen for pain. Not much was said about my headache, just go home and rest. I saw my doctor a week later and he said I was healing well and to take Tylenol instead of Naproxen. At that point my headache wasn't bad at all, but I was very lightheaded. I didn't know why and forgot to mention it to the doctor. As soon as I increased my activities and tried to get back to normal - about 12 days after the accident - my headache got a lot worse. I got scared and went back to the ER. They did a CT scan and send me home, telling me to take the naproxen again. I went back to my doctor a few days later, still feeling terrible from the headache, nausea and lightheadedness. He prescribed Fioricet for headaches and something for nausea. I also had an MRI which didn't show anything. It has been two and a half month now since my accident and I still have a headache every day. I get a lot of pressure in my head, seems to be coming from the back of my head, and I still get lightheaded (or dizzy) if I move around too fast or go up a flight of stairs. The Fioricet helps, but I don't like to take pills and don't want to get addicted, so I limit myself to two a day and take a break every so often to figure out how I feel without meds.

The last few weeks have been a little better and I agree that rest seems to be the best thing to do and not getting upset about anything. Besides cycling I like to read, but too much stresses my brain - so does the computer. I have not been back on my bike and didn't drive my car for over six weeks and still only get out on short errands. I guess I'm lucky to be a homemaker and my husband has been supportive, but he doesn't really help out around the housel

It has been very frustrating not to be able to do much and not getting any good advice as to what to do and not do. My doctor wants to send me to a neurologist if I'm not better in a month, but now I'm wondering if there is any point in that.
Sissy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote