View Single Post
Old 12-05-2023, 09:28 AM

Default Questions about Concussions

I want to apologize first for the recent flooding on the TBI section of this forum. It seems that I have a lot that I want to know, and after reading through some of the previous posts, I now have some clarifying questions.

I want to preface this by saying I am in no way anxious or currently worried about any subconcussive/concussion impacts. As of late, there have been no flare-up or increased symptoms to make me feel this way.

The questions:

1) What causes a sensitivity to bumps/jolts/jerks?
I was under the impression that it was from Concussion Anxiety Syndrome, and that people who were experiencing a reemergence of these symptoms had them because of anxiety. I also thought that since whiplash can be caused by 2-4Gs, maybe a bumpy ride or walking down a steep hill is causing aggregation of the neck, or even a new whiplash injury. I know that bumpy rides cannot cause new concussions unless there is an impact. I believe I’ve also read somewhere in extremely rare cases, this may be discredited if the road is extremely, vigorously bumpy.

2) When do bumps/jerks become dangerous?
I am in the understanding that for a person with only a few concussions, there is no situation in which they would damage the brain and only rarely, strain or re-injure whiplash. I have also read a few posts made by Mark about how simple everyday actions, such as shaking his head ‘NO’, is able to give him a new concussion. I realize that this may be in relation to his many injuries. I just wonder at what point does something like knocking your head on an overhead counter go from an aggregation of symptoms to a full, new injury?

I know that it takes a lot of force to cause a concussion (60-120Gs). I have wondered if that remains the same for people with a few concussions, and when we say that it “becomes easier to get concussions” for these people, do we mean that it remains in that threshold (60-70Gs) or falls lower than that (below 60Gs)?

I promise that these are not questions meant to aid me in looking for symptoms. Simply, I want to know for educational purposes, and so I have the tools necessary to know whether an impact would be damaging or not. I just realized that while reading the forums, I wasn’t fully grasping these concepts. As we know - knowledge is power.

Thank you so much for your time.
powerblackwolf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote