View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 05:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default swollen arm with exercise

Has anyone had this? I've been walking more as opposed to water exercise (w/ my arms are solely supported by the water). Now I walk on land with my TOS arm supported by a fanny pack or belt. But I have been trying to "train" my arm to hang down naturally for bits of time while I walk even though it pulls at the BP. My TOS is primarily neuro with some vascular component but maybe more than I realized. I walked further a few days ago only to look down and see my fore-arm and hand swollen to almost twice their size! The arm became kind of painful and I stopped and rested with my arm a bit propped up. It was 90 mins before the swelling went down enough to comfortably drive home. I had lots of pins & needles as the swelling decreased and then some discomfort around the upper arm that lasted the following day. I had a v. short walk today and stopped before much of any swelling occured. I want to be become as "aerobically fit" and am not sure how I can get the cardio and weight bearing exercise my body needs. At least I know I can take short walks sev. times a day to keep the pain & swelling down. Any other ideas? Is it unsafe to have such swelling like that? Should I have gone straight to the ER? It seemed a no brainer to prop my arm up and to avoid this self-caused situation in the future.
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote