View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned User

15 yr Member
Banned User

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannakat View Post
my point is, that without a "soft" ribcage, it is impossible to get yourself into the correct position for "good posture" because the ribs just won't go to the proper place. Also, the forward head goes along with this. It just gets stuck there until you can find someone who understands and can help you get it unstuck.

also, oft times if the lats or quadratus muscles are too tight, then either or both will work to push the ribcage up. In which case, no amount of working on the scalenes or shoulder muscles will get the rib cage to come down.

Hellerwork and/or myofascial release is extremely useful in these cases to loosen the muscles, THEN one can work to keep them loose on their own. They are almost impossible to really stretch out on your own, much like some of the upper shoulder/neck muscles.
I agree that flexible muscles and body are key to so many things including getting relief.

I suppose what you call soft ribcage, I'd call flexible. No biggie, I just thought you were referring to something different and I wanted to understand.

I think I need to re-learn HOW to activate certain muscles and not others to accomplish certain movements..hence the need to go back to the PT at this point...that and she has indicated that with the work I've done in the past my body is more responsive to things she can do to help me.

Keep up the good work.
noname is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote