View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Social Security Disability (me and Alan are on it), usually takes 2 years from when you first apply. The only two times you get it immediately is if you have ALS, or end stage renal failure (because dialyisis is medicare run), now don't ask me why this is, this is what the people at the Social Security Office told me.

Now I had to do the 2 year wait thing. I went down, I was examined, (not for neuropathy but for degenerative joint disease), They make you jump through hoops, they make you see their psychiatrist), who tells you a bunch of numbers in sequence and then makes you repeat them back to him. This is how it was for me.

Now Alan, is a completely different story. He was approved almost immediately. 5 years ago, he applied, they sent him to their medical examination place. The guy gave him an emg, stated out loud "Oh my god, you don't feel this??" and he was approved immediately. But it takes approximately 6 months after you get approved to get your first check. Alan got approved and got his first social security check 6 months later. And he got medicare two years after that. The only time you get immediately on medicare is if you have ALS or end stage renal failure.

Me, I waited the two years (had to go to a lawyer who specializes in disability), I got approved, got the checks.

Oh, by the way, from when you get approved, it takes 2 years to get on medicare. That was how it was way back when.

Don't know if they've changed the rules today.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote